Brace yourself — National Orthodontic Health Month is here! When it comes to choosing dental benefits to attract and maintain top-tier talent, orthodontic coverage is essential. Here’s a deeper dive into orthodontic coverage and the value it brings to you and your employees.
More people are interested in braces
Braces do more than give people a pretty smile. By ensuring proper alignment of the teeth, orthodontics can make it easier to bite, chew and speak. Misaligned teeth are also harder to clean and can wear in unusual ways. Minor untreated issues can lead to more serious problems further down the road, and that can mean increased utilization costs for your business. Far from being a luxury, orthodontic treatment can be essential to proper dental health.
When you imagine your average person with braces, you probably picture a teenager whose parents want them to have a beautiful smile. While most of the over 4 million people in the United States who are currently undergoing orthodontic treatment are teens, over 25% of current patients are adults, and these numbers are expected to grow. The number of adults seeing orthodontists is at an all-time high, according to the American Association of Orthodontists, and that means the pool of prospective ortho patients is wider than it’s ever been. Even childless adults may be interested in these benefits, such as the young professionals in the job market.
Employees expect to see dental insurance among their benefits, and orthodontic coverage can help your plans stand out from competitors. Fortunately, Delta Dental plans offer such coverage at affordable price points.
What kind of coverage does Delta Dental offer?
Without insurance, prospective orthodontic patients can expect to pay between $3,000 and 6,000 dollars depending on their age. Delta Dental plans can help cut these costs in half. That’s why Delta Dental’s been recognized as the best overall dental insurance for braces in 2021.
Orthodontic coverage is available under both Delta Dental PPO™ and DeltaCare® USA:
- Delta Dental PPO plans vary by group and may include orthodontic coverage. You can choose to limit orthodontic coverage to children under 19 or cover orthodontics for both children and adults. Coverage is usually subject to a lifetime orthodontic maximum per person.
- All DeltaCare USA plans cover orthodontics at set copayments, with no maximums or deductibles.
While specifics vary depending on your plan, coverage usually includes:
- Pre-orthodontic treatment visits
- Exam and start-up records
- Orthodontist-recommended tooth extractions
- Comprehensive orthodontic treatment
- Post-treatment records
- Orthodontic takeover for treatment that’s already in progress
Plans generally don’t cover the following:
- Orthodontic treatment for children delivered in two phases
- Appliances to correct harmful habits (like thumb-sucking)
- Jaw surgery to facilitate orthodontic treatment
- Treatment to prepare for other non-covered surgical procedures
Alternative appliances like Invisalign, mail-order appliances and teleorthodontistry generally aren’t, but Delta Dental usually still covers some of the orthodontic treatment costs, such as x‑rays and exams.
Want to help your employees understand their out-of-pocket costs? For PPO plans, encourage your employees to ask their orthodontist for a pre-treatment estimate. DeltaCare USA members can check their plan booklet for their copayments.
From children to adults, the interest in orthodontics is only growing, especially among adults. You won’t want to miss out on delivering benefits that employees love — and expect. Consider adding orthodontic coverage to your plan — or expanding the orthodontic coverage you currently offer.
With Delta Dental’s plans, your employees can find the orthodontic coverage they’re looking for at a price point they can afford, and that’s a great reason to smile.